British Soaps

I have to admit, I love my British soaps, Hollyoaks, Eastenders, Emmerdale and Coronation Street. Unlike American soaps, they play in the evenings. On the weekends, they often run an omnibus, which is a catchup of all the episodes in the week.

I think I like them because it exposes me to new sayings and different cultures I don't get in Cambridge. For example Emmerdale is set in a village up north. One of the characters will say 'she is going to kick us out'. When she says 'us' she is talking about herself, so sometimes people will refer to themselves in that way up north.

They often use soaps to talk about difficult situations, like in the Archers, to get people to know there is help out there. The story-lines often reflect what is going on in today’s society and sometimes this has been controversial.


Also who doesn't love a bit of drama?

No comments:

Post a Comment