Thankful for the History

I will generally say that Americans don't really know much about history of the world. I was one of those. The longer that I have lived here, the more I have learned. It hasn't just been about the history of England but its been the history of Europe and more importantly, the history of America. I am really interested in the way things that happened over here have impacted the America I know and love today. Writing this blog has increased my knowledge and expanded my interest. In fact, I am going for my second degree and this time in history and this blog has been the influence of that.

I think that being here is such a great opportunity for the families stationed here to read about history and actually go to where it really happened. It makes it real for them and I think its a great way to get them interested in history and school. The time you are here is so short and it will make the most of your time here and hopefully you will enjoy it.

Some things in the local area that come to my mind that highlight how lucky we are:
  • The thought that Mary Tudor, Henry VIII's and Catherine of Argon's daughter, was at Framlingham Castle, awaiting the announcement that she was Queen.
  • The beautiful cathedral in Ely and how amazing it is that this structure has been here since 1082 and we can't build anything these days that will last 50 years let alone thousands of years.
  • That Bury St Edmunds is where the Magna Carta was signed which is the inspiration for our US Constitution.
  • Grimes Grave is where there is a prehistoric flint mine and that flint was used in the guns in the War of Independence.
  • One of my favourite places is Kings College in Cambridge. The architecture is amazing and very inspiring. The best thing I think is that Anne Boleyn's initials are on the wood screen but the fact that they still remain after them divorcing after 3 years, her being executed and her influencing the split from Catholicism and creating the Church of England. 
Those are just a few things that come to mind.

I hope that you will take the opportunity to soak as much as you can whilst you are here.