Thankful for opportunity to be exposed to all things new

I was thinking about what I would write for this Sunday's post on Friday. As is life, I found inspiration with what I was doing this week.

Not all of you know that I work at the University of Cambridge. I think that it is absolutely fantastic. I get to meet so many inspiring people (so much so I have gone back to school!) and the things that they are involved with amaze me. The people I support are in the field of physics which is not an area that I have any knowledge of.

Cambridge University holds a few different festivals during the year which are open to the public. This week happen to be the Cambridge Science Festival. So if you are interested in attending any events held by Cambridge University, I suggest signing up for the email and following the RSS Feed that can be found here.

Jon and I attended a talk by Professor Frank Close, the author of The Infinity Puzzle. The talk was about the Higgs Boson. I will not even try to explain what the Higgs Boson is, but it had made the news in the past few months. It is also something being researched by physicists so I thought it would be interesting to see into the world that I help support. While I was sitting in the talk, I thinking about how lucky I was to have an opportunity to attend events like this. There are loads of talks going on not just in Cambridge University but all over the place. I could spend my life attending talks and about such a wide range of subjects.

Today Jon and I are going to a talk by the Naked Scientists. Both of these events were free and there are many that are for children too. I like going to these things because I learn something new, which is always nice and it builds on who I am as a person.

I can tell you my views have changed since arriving here in 2006. They continue to change the longer that I am here and sometimes it is for the better. Although I am not sure that I will ever truly understand physics.

What things have you been involved here that are new to you? Do you feel that you are growing as a person being over here?