Shakespeare’s Globe on Tour

I usually do not blog the day after I have been somewhere because I have a schedule of posts but last night I went to my first play on the grounds of Corpus Christi and watched the play King Lear by William Shakespeare. It was part of the Shakespeare’s Globe on Tour which I had heard about and always wanted to go see a play at the Globe itself so thought that this was the next best thing. 

The play was held in the Master's Gardens at Corpus Christi. You can either bring chairs to sit on or bring a blanket and sit on the ground. My sister-in-law says that "it is the way that Shakespeare was meant to be seen." I brought some patio chair cushions, blanket and some snacks. Other people brought a picnic including drinks but they ask you not to bring glass with you. I also brought things for when the sun went down and to keep warm. We have been very fortunate with the weather lately.

I really wanted to go to King Lear  because Joseph Marcell, better known to you and me as Geoffrey from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, was playing King Lear himself. If you are worried about not understanding a word, don't, I was able to follow along. Also because Shakespeare's plays last longer than normal, I have a habit of being sleepy towards the end but I always blame the hot theater for that. I did not have this problem here.

King Lear is on until 27 July and then 21-24 August the Taming of the Shrew and Henry VI from 17-21 September by the Shakespeare’s Globe on Tour.

This is a different way to experience the theater and another way to see England and its history!

No comments:

Post a Comment